The Angaston & Penrice Historical Society was formed in 1997 when a public meeting was called by the Angaston Main Street committee. Monthly meetings are held in the Old Union Chapel, Penrice Road, Angaston on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 7.30pm. Our objectives are to promote interest in the history and heritage of the Barossa's Angaston & Penrice area. We answer family and local history queries and the archive can be viewed by appointment. We also conduct heritage walks of Angaston and have several books for sale which can be viewed online here.
Our volunteers man the A&H Doddridge blacksmith shop in the main street of Angaston which has been a fundamental part of life since it was established on the present site by John Doddridge in 1873. Representing an important part of the community’s heritage, it is now a heritage-listed site and is one of only four blacksmith shops in South Australia. When the town was faced with losing their ‘icon’ in 1982, local residents rallied to purchase many of the tools, many dating back to 1836 when the first of 3 generations of blacksmiths came to South Australia; and sought to preserve the long and continuous association with the Doddridge family. It was officially opened to the public on 25 October 1996. The museum is dedicated to the skills of the blacksmith, it is steeped in history with over 130 years of blacksmithing at this site and many of the original tools and equipment make this a real trip back in time.
A video by film maker Ashley Starkey was launched in 2012 and can be viewed here
Nestled in the Angaston hills, the Old Union Chapel was built in 1844 as a multi-denominational place of worship. It was given to the community by South Australian pioneer and committed believer in religious freedom, George Fife Angas who also gave Angaston its name. The oldest public building in the Barossa Valley, over the years the chapel has been used for many purposes - as a public meeting place, dried fruit store, a home during WWII when there was a shortage of housing, a shearing shed and a garage. It was fully restored from 1989 to 1994 by volunteers and tradespeople and was reopened 150 years after it was built as a tribute to the pioneers of the district. The Friends of the Old Union Chapel is a section 41 community based volunteer group under The Barossa Council and are committed to seeing that the building and grounds are well maintained for the community. It has an attractive garden, off-street parking, toilet facilities, small meeting room/kitchen and a chapel with pews. It makes an ideal venue for functions and is available for hire through The Barossa Council for weddings, naming ceremonies, memorial services, meetings, exhibitions, concerts and other celebrations. It is open to all denominations and has seating for 100 people with a kitchen and toilet facilities (including disabled). Bookings and enquiries through the Barossa Council.
Smithy: 1 pm - 4 pm Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays. Group & bus tours by appointment.
Chapel: by arrangement