Alf Traeger Memorial Mural at Centenary Hall
In 1972 the Balaklava and District Historical Society was formed, becoming a branch of the National Trust of South Australia in 1975. Early in 2004 the Balaklava group severed its connection with the National Trust to become the Balaklava Museum Inc and currently operates on two sites. Centenary Hall sited in May Terrace has a colourful history and is the oldest church building still standing in Balaklava. Opened in 1878 as the house of worship for the Church of Christ and subsequently used as a hall for the Druids, a Masonic Lodge and Balaklava’s first High School, becoming the Folk Museum in 1977. It now houses a large collection of local historical records and photographs as well as war memorabilia and household, dental and hospital items (including the first use of Penicillin in Australia). There is also a tribute to Alf Traeger, the inventor of the pedal wireless that helped the Rev. John Flynn bring communications to Australia’s outback. Urlwin Park sited in Short Terrace was formerly one of the state’s largest poultry farms in around 1930. It now houses the ‘Balaklava Made’ collection featuring agricultural machinery manufactured by Blake, Illman, Brebner & Keefe, Willis, Ahrns and Anders. There are also displays of locally used farm machinery and road making machinery, the Halbury bank and replicas of Ted Anders blacksmith shop and the historic ‘Corduroy Road’, part of the Gulf Road used by bullock wagon teams transporting copper from the mines of Burra to ketches at Port Henry, now Port Wakefield. On various occasions during the year there are operating displays including ploughing, chaff cutting and blacksmithing.
Connect with us
2nd & 4th Sunday, 2.30 pm – 4.00 pm or by appointment