The Barossa Light Horse Historical Association is an historical re-enactment troop based in Williamstown that strives to accurately portray the skills and heritage of the men who served in the Australian Light Horse during the First World War (1914-1918).
Training takes place on the fourth Sunday of each month on Gower Reserve, just outside Williamstown, next to the CFS Station and involves learning the World War One mounted and dismounted drills applicable to the light horse.
The Barossa Light Horse Historical Association takes its name from the 23rd Light Horse Regiment, Barossa Light Horse. The 23rd was a South Australian militia regiment, comprising troops from Adelaide, Tea Tree Gully, Gawler, and Kapunda. The regiment formed part of the 8th Cavalry Brigade, of the 4th Military District. The 23rd was established in July 1912 and disbanded in May 1942.
The Barossa Light Horse Historical Association began in 1983, being officially established in 1985 with 14 members and the Barossa Troopers made their first public appearance at the Gawler country show in September of that year.
Annually the Barossa troopers participate in city and regional ANZAC Day parades, the Adelaide City Australia Day parade, numerous regional Christmas parades, Reserve Forces Day parades and other Reserve Forces Day activities. Several members regularly lecture at schools. Over the last few years Barossa troopers have provided escorts for the Governor General, State Governors, Inspecting Military Officers, Politicians, Cobb & Co coaches and bridal carriages. Barossa troopers also provide static camp displays and dynamic “Dismount for Action” displays at several country shows.
Every year the Barossa Light Horse troop remembers the service of their horses in what is believed to be the only ANZAC service of its kind with a dedication to the animals.
The association has only recently embarked on a project to develop a static display. The display theme is based upon Mitcham Camp, the principle training camp in South Australia during World War One (1914-1918).