Many people do not realise that the National Railway Museum stands on the former site of the Port Dock Railway Station. The station was located on the corner of Lipson and St Vincent St and included the area where the Port Adelaide Police Station and Magistrates Court now stand.
The first steam operated railway line in South Australia ran from the Adelaide to the Port Dock Railway Station. The station operated from 1856 through to 1981.
Though most of the station buildings have been demolished, the historic and heritage listed goods shed and platform still stand at the Museum.