Today (15 May) is the centenary of the opening of the railway from Gawler to Nuriootpa. On this day the government took over control of the railway from Smith & Timms, the contractors building the line through to Angaston. Passenger trains had actually been running since 15 February, operated by the contractors, but from this day official government services began. There were no festivities to mark the occasion - the government decided to wait until 8 September 1911 when the final section from Nuriootpa to Angaston was ready, and celebrate the opening of the whole line from Gawler to Angaston.
Passenger trains to Nuriootpa ceased running on 16 December 1968. Freight operations continue to this day with regular stone trains from Penrice Quarry. The disused Nuriootpa station building (the subject of a recent court case) is now fenced off, and it seems that the centenary will soon be marked by its demolition. The photo by Wayne Morris shows the train rolling through Nuriootpa station yard recently.
Roger Sallis’ book Railways in the Barossa Valley (1998) gives a detailed account of the building and operation of the line.