The National Railway Museum is currently working to restore the Onkaparinga carriage, with the re-roofing of the carriage being nearly complete. The project and ongoing conservation of Onkaparinga will finally allow the Museum to share the carriage with our visitors. As one of the original group of carriages built in Australia from 1907 to this type of design (‘Onkaparinga’ being built in 1911), this carriage is of particular significance to the Museum’s collection. The carriage typifies the evolution of passenger rolling stock in the early 20th century from British pattern Mann type carriages to the American pattern: A design that would later become vitally important to South Australia under the Railway Commissioner W.A.Webb in 1926. ‘Onkaparinga’ has specific social and historic significance to South Australia as it was used on the interstate express train service between Adelaide and Melbourne from 1911 to 1972. The photos below show the carriage when it was operational c1935-1940 and the carriage at Marbury school just before it was relocated to the NRM.