Community museums blog

Here you can get involved with blogs that follow the activities of particular community history organisations, historical themes or issues of interest to the community history network. See the latest postings and discover a new point of view from our busy bloggers. Leave a comment and add your own voice to the discussions. Ideas for blogs are always welcome - let us know what topic interests you.

Full on Day Out at Loxton Village

You would think I would see enough museums in the course of my normal work, but I couldn’t resist the draw of the Loxton Village Kids’ Day Out on 8 October during the school holidays and the chance to see the newly ins Read more about Full on Day Out at Loxton Village >

Read more »

Highercombe Herald and Sunday at the Museum

I dropped in to the Old Highercombe Hotel Museum yesterday to pack our latest newsletter , The Highercombe Herald, into envelopes. Read more about Highercombe Herald and Sunday at the Museum >

Read more »

Old King Cole was a hoot

During the school holidays guests came along to the Nursery Rhyme Hotel.  They were given a 'key' that would unlock the secrets of Nursery Rhymes.  Read more about Old King Cole was a hoot >

Read more »

Escapades into Costume Care

Pauline discovers some interesting historic costume, some in unexpected places, whilst on the road visiting community museums. Read more about Escapades into Costume Care >

Read more »

Seeing what pops up

Pauline delves into the background of pop-up museums, how we created our first 'pop-up' and discovers what fun it can be! Read more about Seeing what pops up >

Read more »

Nursery Rhyme Hotel

Preparation for our school holiday event 13th-20th July is going along smoothly.  We are asking our guests to unlock the secrets of nursery rhymes as they visit 10 themed rooms, including Mother Goose's Library, Polly's Parlour, the 10-in-a-Bed room and the Dainty Dish Dining Room.  We have organ Read more about Nursery Rhyme Hotel >

Read more »

Jack and Jill went up the hill

Why are the volunteers at Highercombe going back to childhood days and singing nursery rhymes?  Or more importantly trying to remember them !  It is in preparation for our Nursery Rhyme Hotel - school holiday event from Sunday 13th - 20th July, 10am-4pm daily.  Research has taken many hours as we Read more about Jack and Jill went up the hill >

Read more »

Curious Collections

A fun-filled day was had by all who visited the Museum on Sunday 18th May for our Curious Collections day and what a mixture of treasures, over 40 collections were on display ! Read more about Curious Collections >

Read more »

Adelaide’s newest blacksmith forge fired up

Amongst the 40 collections at the Curious Collections event today was an even more significant event for the Old Highercombe Hotel Museum ... and indeed Adelaide. The newly built forge in the newly built blacksmith shop was fired up. Read more about Adelaide’s newest blacksmith forge fired up >

Read more »