NOTE THIS HAS BEEN POSTPONED TILL FURTHER NOTICE
A visit to Glenthorne Park, a property steeped in history and home to some leading University of Adelaide research programs.
Glenthorne Farm is 200 hectares of undulating hills with revegetation areas of invaluable, local indigenous seed bank plants taken from the Happy Valley Reservoir and heritage buildings dating back to 1839.
Glenthorne Farm was first settled in 1839 by Major Thomas Suldham O'Halloran, a British soldier who became South Australia's first Commissioner of Police. During O'Halloran's time, the farm was visited by Governor Gawler and the famous explorer Charles Sturt.
It was later acquired by the Commonwealth of Australia for the purpose of breeding horses for World War One. It was known then as the No 9 Remount Depot, and here mules were trained to be sent to Papua New Guinea during World War Two. The property was used by the CSIRO from 1947 to 1996 and would have been sold for housing development but was saved by local residents assisted by Federal MP Susan Jeanes who successfully lobbied the Federal Liberal Government to dispose of the property to the University of Adelaide. A Deed was signed in 2001 ensuring that Glenthorne Farm would be preserved as open space and never to be sold off for urban development in any form.