Presentation by Alison Painter. This presentation covers the progress of Cooper & Sons from 1882-2002 when Thomas Cooper, and later his descendants, operated the brewery on Statenborough Street. For many years they retained the old way of brewing and everything in the brewery reflected this. As the business increased there was some modernisation of both plant and brewing methods, but the old Sparkling Ale and Extra Stout remained the same. Coopers remains a family company, but the move to the modern complex at Regency Park in 2002 was necessary and the differences from the old brewery are remarkable.
Alison has enjoyed a long association with Coopers having started work there as laboratory assistant to Max Cooper in 1960. In 1977 she left to study at Flinders University, subsequently completing an Honours Degree in history. Alison’s thesis was a history of Coopers and the brewing industry in SA which, with additions, became the first edition of Jolly Good Ale and Old. Since then she has written other brewing histories.
All welcome. No charge. Refreshments provided.