Heritage buildings on the property
Friends of Glenthorne
The Friends of Glenthorne Inc was incorporated in 1998 and aim
to preserve the natural and cultural assets of historic Glenthorne Farm at O'Halloran Hill, and promote c ommunity awareness and create public education programs highlighting the property's significance to the history of South Australia. Glenthorne is an area of land 16 kilometres south of Adelaide, South Australia. The 208 hectares bounded by South Road and the Southern Expressway form a prominent open space backdrop to the southern part of the city.and are an area of significance to the Fleurieu Peninsula. Glenthorne was originally settled in 1839 by Major Thomas O’Halloran who was the first Police Commissioner of South Australia. The property changed hands a number of times until it was compulsorily acquired by the Commonwealth of Australia in 1913 and used by the Australian Army for training troops and raising horses (Glenthorne No. 9 Remount Depot). From 1947 to 1996 the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) operated a research facility on Glenthorne to study animal and human nutrition. Significant heritage buildings exist there today, in desperate need of restoration and protection. Originally the CSIRO intended to sell the property for housing development but in 1996, local residents, with assistance of Federal MP Susan Jeanes and others, successfully lobbied the Commonwealth Government to rethink and the land was sold to the University of Adelaide. A Deed was signed ensuring that Glenthorne Farm would be preserved as open space and never sold off for urban development in any way.
Connect with us
Montly Working Bees and Enjoyment Days generally on 3rd Sunday, 10 am - 1pm at Glenthorne Farm, meet at Major Road gates 9.45 amMonthly meetings 3rd Tuesday, 7.30 pm at Trott Park Neighbourhood Centre