The Friends of South Australia’s Archives was established in February 1996 with the following objectives:
• to encourage the preservation of historical records
• to assist the keepers of public and private archives in South Australia
• to represent the concerns of users of the archives.
The Friends encourages people with similar interests to become members and their subscription assists in the work of the group and the publication of a newsletter. Two public functions are held a year; an Annual General Meeting and a social event which brings like minded people together.
Notable achievements include:
1. Played a role in retaining the Adelaide Office of the National Archives of South Australia
2. Negotiated the release of Supreme Court records over 100 years old
3. Instigated the placement of a plaque on the original Archives Department of the state Library to the rear of the Art Gallery
4. Developed a Guide for church archives
5. Regained access to the 1885 State Land Tax records after they were embargoed.