The Mount Horrocks Historical Society was formed in 1983 to preserve, record and research the history of the area from Sevenhill to Leasingham (now including Auburn and Undalya) in South Australia.The Society has premises in Watervale which has a History Room housing a research library containing family histories, local cemetery records and an extensive collection of old photographs plus historical documents including diaries, journals and memoirs as well as memorabilia donated by members and locals. The collection forms the basis for the research services provided by the Society for those wishing to know more about their ancestors who lived in the area. The office provides scanning, copying and general computing facilities.The Society owns John Horrocks Cottage in Penwortham which is State and National Heritage listed and is responsible for its upkeep and accessibility to the public. John Horrocks Cottage is the oldest stone building north of Gawler and was built by John Horrocks shortly after his arrival in South Australia from Lancashire, England in 1839. With Government aid and support from the local wineries and traders, the Society purchased the cottage in 2001. Restoration has since been ongoing on the cottage and adjoining heritage building, where books and merchandise are currently for sale.Fundraising is ongoing in the form of grants as well as the sale of books and merchandise and providing catering for local events.The Society keeps in touch with its members through a quarterly newsletter and regular meetings as well as hosting guest speaker events.The Society instigated arrangements for the unofficial twinning of Penwortham SA with John Horrocks home town of Penwortham in Lancashire UK which came to fruition on 22 March 2006.
Connect with us
John Horrocks Cottage: open first Sunday of month, 2-4pmWatervale Institute: open by appointment