Fred Groom, President of the Brinkworth History Group (which runs Brinkworth Historical Reserve Museum, a registered CMP museum) has sent us news of their interpretive trail which was opened in November and funded with a 2009/10 South Australian History Fund grant from History SA. At Brinkworth township’s 118th birthday evening on 11 November at the Stockyard Reserve, the Brinkworth History Group gave the town eight interpretive signs erected along the Peppertree Trail. This project was devised about eight years ago by the late Kevin Weckert, former member of the Brinkworth History Group, when he conducted a tour of the railway precinct and told of the history of Brinkworth railway and its significance to the town. He stressed that this history should not be lost or forgotten. The Brinkworth History Group researched the story of the Blyth to Gladstone railway extension of 1892-94 and the development of Magpie Creek Junction. The station and township of Brinkworth became the junction of the Blyth – Gladstone line with the Snowtown Redhill and Moonta lines.
The layout and text were revised by group members and Allison Russell of History SA and John Evans of Tourism SA before final editing by Geoff Spiers.
Following this celebration, on Sunday 14 November, Northern History Groups and other interested people were invited to join the Brinkworth History Group in walking the trail to share in their delight at the completion of this stage of an ongoing project.
The group will be erecting an information shelter at the site of the railway station, using the original station signs and waiting room bench seat.