Ardrossan Historical Museum is located in the powerhouse of the former factory of Clarence H. Smith, manufacturer of agricultural equipment and the famous stump jump plough. Learn about the Mosquito Fleet – the many ketches plying to Ardrossan; see relics from the Zanoni, which sank off Ardrossan in 1867, and much more.
Exquisite memorial stained-glass glass windows are a feature of the Brinkworth Museum: formerly a Catholic Church. Permanently displayed are religious items and records of all local churches. Enjoy documented railway history in the museum and interpreted along a town walk and the living herbarium of native flora by the museum.
Community-based group that promotes interest in the history of the City of Burnside, a loval government area in the eastern foothills of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. Members can enjoy free monthly meetings and quarterly newsletters as well as half day or full day trips to points of historical interest; and a regional history tour every second year.
Built in 1851 as the police barracks and courthouse, the museum was originally Clare’s first public building. It houses an extensive collection of Victorian costume, furniture, domestic memorabilia and photographs of the area with agricultural equipment and horse drawn carriages in the grounds.
The oldest Government House in Australia, it began to be constructed in 1839/40 near the site of the original thatched Government Hut, built for Governor Hindmarsh by sailors from HMS Buffalo. There were major extensions in the latter half of the 19th century. The house and gardens are open to the public at certain times of the year. School tours can also be arranged.
Formed in Adelaide in 1964, the Society aims to perpetuate the names and achievements of the great Australian explorer John McDouall Stuart (1815-1866), (the first European to discover the true nature of the centre of Australia), and his 33 companions.
Telling the stories of the development of the soldier settlement scheme on Kangaroo Island in the early 1950s, the museum was established in 2001 with funding from a Centenary of Federation grant. It is based in the Returned Service’s League Hall, dedicated as a memorial to Soldier Settlement.
The City of Playford has a rich and diverse local history, which is now supported by a new historical society. We are a voluntary organisation that collects, researches, interprets and preserves information of historical interest.
Having moved in 2012 from its initial location in the old Post Office to the building next door on the sprawling hospital complex known as the ‘Repat’, the museum contains a wealth of memorabilia relating to this historic hospital’s history as well as both world wars and other major conflicts.