The Pioneers Association of South Australia Incorporated was founded in 1935 on the eve of the celebrations for the centenary of the founding of South Australia. Its principal objectives are:
- To perpetuate the memory of the pioneers of early settlement in South Australia
- To establish and maintain a faithful record of the pioneers for the benefit of present and future generations
- To encourage the preservation of records, portraits, relics and historical materials associated with pioneer settlement
- To promote awareness and knowledge of South Australian history
- To affiliate with any other organisation with objectives similar to those of the Association.
The Association currently has about 700 financial members from South Australia, interstate and overseas. Membership is open to any person with an ancestor who arrived in South Australia by and including 28 December 1846. Spouses of members may become associate members.
The Association publishes a monthly electronic newsletter for members the "Pioneer e-Xpress"
, and has a quarterly journal "The Pioneer"
, and occasional books and pamphlets, available for purchase – the details and costs of these are listed on the Association's website
During the year, the Association conducts a number of luncheon and dinner meetings, a History Month event, a tour and a special event for children. Details and costs of coming events are to be found on the Association's website under "Events Calendar"
Members of the public are welcome to visit the office during normal opening times to make enquiries (or to offer or exchange information) about pioneer ancestry or people, places and events in the early colonial period of South Australia or to consult or purchase publications. In particular, we welcome enquiries from people who are seeking information about their ancestry, and who may qualify to become financial members of the Association.
Tuesdays & Thursdays 10 am - 2 pm (except during Christmas- New Year period)